Western Cape Provincial COVID-19 Relief Fund
The Western Cape Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport (DCAS) has developed relief options for the cultural, creative and sports industries. The options focus on the Business Continuity and Recovery phases of the fight against COVID-19. It also focuses on two of the three pillars of the national response: Social Relief and Economic Recovery.Due to the complex and evolving COVID-19 environment, the options target areas of relief which can be achieved quickly while focusing on categories where support is most needed and most helpful.
Relief funding is available for the following:
Cultural and creative support
- DCAS funded events/project cancellations
- Arts venue and production cancellations
- Artists/Creatives (including creative freelance workers/ independent contractors)
- Community Arts Education and Training Organisations
- Humanitarian Relief – Legends Grant
The DCAS COVID-19 Relief Funding Guidelines and Criteria for Arts, Culture and Heritage are available here: Guidelines and Criteria Please ensure that you have read the guidelines thoroughly to ensure you know what documents to submit with your application.A pplication form can be found here: Application Form Applications should be emailed to DCAS.ReliefFunding@westerncape.gov.za The closing date for applications is Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 16:00.
Sport and recreation support
The DCAS Sport and Recreation Directorate has also made provision for a provincial relief fund. An important aspect of providing financial assistance is ensuring that there are objective criteria in place to evaluate and confirm the following:
- Confirmation of the financial impact per sport federation, structure, recreation entity
- Validation of any loss that is being claimed
- Use of previous events to quantify loss of income
- Proof that sport federations and recreation entities were earning an income and are now out-of-pocket
- All sport federations are to be in good standing with the Western Cape Provincial Sport Confederation
- Evidence that athletes who were confirmed to participate at events that have now been cancelled or postponed due to COVID-19, and whose income is generated solely by participation in that event. These events may include major road races and events where the athlete may be eligible for an appearance fee
- Coaches and technical support personnel who work with athletes whose sporting events have been cancelled or postponed due to COVID-19, and make their earnings solely from these events. Evidence of earnings must be provided
- Athletes on the Department’s High Performance Programme and/or who are preparing for the 2021 Olympics and Paralympics and are hopefuls for team South Africa selection for those and other major international championships and events. These athletes must not be on SASCOC’s OPEX Programme as specific criteria will be set here.
Sport and Recreation Relief funding application forms can be obtained here: Application Form
The closing date for applications is Tuesday, 19 May 2020 at 16:00. Additional documents: bank details form and compliance statement. For Frequently Asked Questions regarding the relief funding, please click here.